2.07.2010

set up to fail: black women longing for love.


i heard some crazy statistic while i was eating dinner with my friends today . Something like 40% of African American women will not be married in their lifetime . Then she told me about 70-something percent of women with Bachelor and/or graduate degrees will never be married ! Not to mention, there are alot more women than men. [90 males per 100 females in the Black or African American population in 2000.]
(blog post/article from my friend about that coming soon lol)

Even crazier than that, is the realization that i don't really care . it seemed like one of my friends was hurt by the statistic and wanted to save our 'happily ever after', "noooo . i really think we'll all get married." i listened . my other friend laughed and chimed in, ". . . naw, i probably wont." i ate my onion rings and said my little input about the statistic (because i always have to talk lol). BUT, the probability was, three out of the four of us at the dinner table would never have the title of 'MRS' .

we joked to my friend about holding on to who she has, because if her boyfriend was let loose, some random hood rat would be quick to latch on . we laughed , but we all knew the reality of the situation . . . it was probably true . With ten percent (791,600 in 2000) of African American males incarcerated and a lesser percentage in college, should women be nervous? How many Black men graduated from High School? How many of those Black men are Gay? How many are on the down low? BUT, does holding on to the 'one you have' guarantee a happy marriage though ? is it crazy for girls to be worried about finding a husband at age 20 ? Should Black women date outside of their race ? Has this defected generation caused young ladies go crazy in a frenzy to find "Mr.Right"?
** Well as far as im concerned, all that can go to hell , statistics don't make a person's fate ... God does . I realized that i dont care about statistics, i care about being with someone who's a ride or die. When i thought about that, a lot of things came into perspective for me. what about you ? what do you think ?

5 comments:

  1. I agree with you all the way. Huge respects. Can't have faith in statistics cause they can't guide you through life the way God does. If you did it wouldn't get you anywhere. MADDDDD RESPECTS FOR YOU.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks alot . happy you can feel it (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. The fact is that we all worry about our future. And a good husband is a part of it. I think I would rather be alone than with someone who I do not love. But some girls do not think like that. They are starting to want anyone. I think it's sad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel there are too many women out there who settle! They are lowering their standards and getting with men who dont deserve their love. I agree with you... I'd rather be alone then to settle for a man who wont make me happy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. mmm thats really interesting ^ .

    what things are considered 'settling'? and what things are worth 'compromising"?

    :)

    ReplyDelete